Home Area Network Applications
Gridstream provides interconnectivity with ZigBee®-enabled devices that use the Smart Energy Profile. Emerging applications for this technology include:
• In-home energy displays – two-way connectivity to energy displays provides the consumer with up-to-the-minute energy usage information and allows utilities to update rate information for variable pricing programs.
• Smart thermostats – remote thermostat control provides a “soft” load management alternative to cycling HVAC appliances during peak demand periods.
• Smart appliances – future applications may include cycling of certain appliances through the home area network.
• Load control – ZigBee-equipped load control devices for heavy appliances can operate as part of the network
• Distributed generation – future applications may include remote switching of DC/AC power storage units, and support for net generation.
• Recharging stations – charging stations for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) monitor optimum charging times and can even borrow energy from batteries for use in the home.