Personal Energy Management
Personal energy management is a critical component of the smart grid. It opens the door for energy consumers to become directly involved in monitoring and controlling their energy use. And it provides utilities with the tools to more uniformly control peak load, and ultimately support new sources of generation and new uses of electricity.
Landis+Gyr’s Gridstream solution provides two-way communication for networking with smart devices, displays and controls that make personal energy management a reality. In addition, Landis+Gyr offers utilities a host of options for providing energy information directly to consumers through web portals and mobile applications.
Home Area Network Applications
Gridstream provides interconnectivity with ZigBee®-enabled devices that use the Smart Energy Profile. Emerging applications for this technology include:
- In-home energy displays – two-way connectivity to energy displays provides the consumer with up-to-the-minute energy usage information and allows utilities to update rate information for variable pricing programs.
- Smart thermostats – remote thermostat control provides a “soft” load management alternative to cycling HVAC appliances during peak demand periods.
- Smart appliances – future applications may include cycling of certain appliances through the home area network.
- Load control – ZigBee-equipped load control devices for heavy appliances can operate as part of the network.
- Distributed generation – future applications may include remote switching of DC/AC power storage units, and support for net generation.
- Recharging stations – charging stations for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs) monitor optimum charging times and can even borrow energy from batteries for use in the home.
COUNTRY: United States
United Cooperative Services (UCS) is an electrical distribution utility focused …